- Ethnomusicology: the Preliminary Examination consists of a Portfolio & Prospectus Workshop.
Timetable for the Preliminary Examination in Composition
- Proposal for the Dissertation Composition
- Proposal for a scholarly article of publishable quality
- Proposal for an undergraduate course
At least one month before the Preliminary Examination, the student must submit the following:
Article proposal:: This includes an abstract and bibliography.
Before the Preliminary Examination, the Doctoral Committee will prepare:
- one essay question related to the article proposal
- an assignment for a short composition
- the composition component, including the dissertation proposal, short composition, and the portfolio
- the essay and article proposal
- the course proposal
- One sample grant proposal
- One self-designed undergraduate-level course syllabus
- Dissertation prospectus
Year Four: You conduct dissertation research in your fourth year.
Year Five: You return to campus for dissertation-writing in your fifth year.
Field Specialization Workshop
Timetable for Preliminary Exam in Musicology
At least two months before the Preliminary Examination
One month before the Preliminary Examination
Within 30 days after completing the Preliminary Exam