Spring 2021 Practice Room Guidelines and Protocols
Spring 2021 - PRACTICE ROOM GUIDELINES AND PROTOCOLS
Practice rooms are small, shared spaces with limited air exchange that present safety concerns. Due to this, there will be limited use of the practice rooms, with specific conditions. We know that practicing is important, and we are sorry to limit use, but safety and health must be our top priority.
• At this time, use of the practice rooms in the Biddle Music Building is limited to students who are enrolled either in applied lessons or in a Music Department ensemble.
• Eligible students can sign out a key for the semester to the 15 practice rooms in the Music Department office, Biddle 105. (Current office hours are 8:30am-1:30pm, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and 1-5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.) A $10 deposit is required (cash only). Students must be registered in either applied lessons or a Music Department ensemble prior to receiving a key.
• Students must schedule practice time using dukemusic.skedda.com. Students may sign up for slots up to 2 hours in length, but no one may sign up for more than 4 hours in one day. There must be at least one hour between practice time slots when the practice room is not in use. Room schedules will be monitored to ensure compliance.
• Students may reserve rooms up to 7 days in advance.
• Masks must be worn at all times in the practice rooms.
• No wind/brass instruments at this time. Singers must wear masks.
• Only one student is allowed in each practice room. No visitors.
• Practice rooms will be available from 8:00am-11:00pm. Students must vacate practice rooms and the Biddle Music Building at 11:00pm.
• Each practice room will be supplied with disinfecting spray and paper towels. Students are responsible for wiping down piano keyboards and other shared surfaces before and after each use.
• Students must bring their own music stands; no music stands will be provided in practice rooms, except for rooms used by Class Piano students.
• Practice rooms will receive routine daily cleaning each morning by Housekeeping.
PRACTICING IS A PRIVILEGE. ANY STUDENT FOUND VIOLATING THESE CONDITIONS WILL HAVE THEIR PRIVILEGES IMMEDIATELY REVOKED. THIS INCLUDES PRACTICING IN A ROOM WITHOUT A RESERVATION AND REMAINING IN A ROOM BEYOND YOUR RESERVED TIME.