At the start of each fall term the graduate students elect a Graduate and Professional Student Government Representative. At the end of each spring term they elect a Music Graduate Student Association President.
The Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG) Representative:
- serves as liaison between GPSG and music graduate students, communicating information and feedback between both bodies
- acts as voting member of GPSG general assembly
- receives and distributes GPSG activities information and issues, including parking, insurance, childcare, etc., to music grads
- attends GPSG meetings
The Music Graduate Student Association (MGSA) President:
- serves as a liaison between music faculty, the DGS, DGSA, and music graduate students
- communicates student needs and concerns to the faculty
- attends general music faculty meetings
- attends graduate faculty meetings when invited
- reports on special issues as requested by the faculty
The Music Graduate Students Association (MGSA) conducts its own affairs including the election of officers. Currently, the MGSA appoints coordinators for the South Central Graduate Music Consortium (SCGMC), Talk Music, Composers Meetings, as well as a secretary and treasurer.