ArtsConnect is a service organization that seeks to interest and engage elementary-age children in the Durham community through the arts. Members design lesson plans which are implemented during weekly hour-long workshops at afterschool programs (currently at the Emily K Center and West End Community Center). These lesson plans aim to create a fun, exciting opportunity for the kids to gain hands-on experience through various art forms such as music, dance, theater, visual arts, and creative writing.
Arts & Health at Duke
Duke University Hospital Campus & Clinics
Arts & Health works with Duke students and members from the wider community who are classically trained musicians and can perform instrumental-based music at Duke University Hospital in the public spaces. Volunteers are trained and shadowed by the Musician in Residence before they are able to perform on their own in these public settings. For more information about Performing Arts Volunteering contact William Dawson at email@example.com.
More information can be found at this link.
Kidznotes is a music for social change program that engages students pre-Kindergarten through the 12th grade in an intense, fully integrated, out-of-school musical program that includes instrumental instruction, choir, music theory, general music, orchestra, and band. Our classes are taught by Teaching Artists (TAs), professional musicians, and music teachers who are committed to teaching young students. The program operates 10 hours per week, 40 weeks a year, and in a 3-4 week Summer Camp.
Envisioned as an educational and community enrichment program based on the El Sistema model and adapted to the local realities of the communities we serve, Kidznotes provides instruction free-of-charge to interested children in the lowest-income neighborhoods of Durham and Raleigh. Like El Sistema, the teaching approach of Kidznotes is that everyone can learn music, and that love of the children comes first, the music second. To instill self-esteem in the children, teachers emphasize the value of each child.
Durham Partner Schools:
- Club Boulevard Elementary
- Eastway Elementary
- E.K. Powe Elementary
- Maureen Joy Charter School
- Y.E. Smith Elementary
- Holton Career and Resource Center (Durham nucleo)
- Ushers and Greeters at events
- Kidznotes Ambassadors: The Kidznotes Ambassador will represent Kidznotes at events and programs hosted for and/or by Kidznotes. Your duties will include, but are not limited to, passing out fliers, collecting contact information from potential donors and signing individuals up for our e-newsletter and other Kidznotes correspondents.
- On-site volunteers at the Raleigh and Durham Nucleo: Your duties will include working with the on-site coordinator and teaching staff. You will be responsible for helping with registration, monitoring the classroom, monitoring and serving snack, monitoring the hallways and bathrooms and helping to unload the bus.
- Teaching Volunteers: Your duties will include assisting the teaching staff with instruction time or instructing a class as needed.
- Nucleo Administrative Assistant: Your duties will be to assist the Program Director as needed.
- Office Administrative Assistant: Your duties will be to assist in the Kidznotes main office. These duties include answering the phone, filing, writing thank you cards, picking up mail, passing out fliers and delivering instrument donations to the Nucleo.
- Volunteer Grant Writers: Your duties will be to help with grant writing (proven experience required).